LCU Fund for Women's EducationLCU Fund for Women's Education

Opening Doors Since 1858

About Us

In 1858, a group of New York women led by Mrs. Marshall Orme Roberts saw the pressing need for safe, affordable housing for young single women working in New York City. Organizing as the Ladies' Christian Union (LCU), they raised money to buy brownstone buildings and convert them into housing for young working women. Throughout financial panics, depressions, and wars, the LCU created vital housing opportunities. By the mid-twentieth century, the organization was managing six houses in New York City. You can find out more about our history here.

In 2000, the LCU board of directors decided to sell these houses to establish an endowment fund. With this fund, the LCU would be able to provide New York City educational institutions with housing grants to assist female students in financial need (see more on our students in the Grantmaking section). In 2003 the LCU became the LCU Foundation — a secular, non-profit private foundation. Then in 2013 the Board of Directors ushered in a new era by renaming it the LCU Fund for Women's Education, to better reflect the intent of the fund's grantmaking.

The LCU Fund for Women's Education is chartered as a 501c3 non-profit foundation under the laws of New York State. Find out more about the Fund's board of directors.